On this 23rd day of January my grandparents welcomed their second of 3 boys. Man, am I glad they did! He is the coolest man on the planet! Here’s why:
- He’s so stinkin’ smart. I am mostly jealous of this gene and wonder why he had to be so stingy with it.
- He knows how to do a lot of things– fix cars, build houses, figure out the end of a movie well before the credits roll, operate heavy machinery, decorate wedding cakes, impersonate the lead singers of most 70s rock bands, brew his own beer, etc.
- He loves his wife. (seems like a given, but not to be taken for granted)
- He can rock a bandana headband better than anyone I’ve ever seen.
- He unintentionally introduced me to one of the best bands of all time, Led Zeppelin. (we used to rock to Stairway to Heaven on the way home from Ellisville, MS)
- He’s a great listener and wise counselor.
- He bought me a Chihuahua when I was in the 5th grade. I am sure he hates Chihuahuas in general, so I am still shocked this ever happened.
- He’s not afraid to cry.
- He is not ticklish, at all….ever. He said it’s some mind trick. (isn’t that something Chuck Norris would say?)
- He does not judge.
- He’s a straight shooter. I trust everything he says 100%.
- He loves deeply….all the way to the core.
- He taught me how to golf and fish. I don’t presently do either very often, but don’t expect me to bat an eye if I have to bait a hook with a cricket or worm…no problem.
- He respects his elders. I still hear him say yes ma’am and yes sir.
- He has awesome hair. Long, auburn, curly hair. Another gene he was stingy with.
- He can whistle through his teeth.
- I would not know who Charles Bronson is apart from him.
- He can hold his breath under water longer than anyone I’ve ever seen in person. Scares me every time.
- His hands are thick and strong, like my Papa’s.
When my brother, sister and I start talking about my dad, the conversation usually closes with “I love Dad. He is so cool!”. He really is.
Happy Birthday, Dad! You’re the bestest, coolest, awesomest Dad!
A song for Dad….hmm…gotta be Zeppelin. Black Dog